3.07.2012

Welcome Home

"This is what happened when one left one's home--pieces of oneself scattered all over the world, no one place ever completely satisfied, always a nostalgia for the place left behind." The Lotus Eaters 

I'll start this post with my last week at Joytown, which already feels so long ago. For weeks, I had been praying for closure and a sense of peace going back to Mississippi. And that's exactly what the Lord gave me. Our last weekend in Thika was filled with many sweet memories with staff and kiddos--including one more tea party! At any event in Kenya, it is traditional to give short speeches of gratitude before everyone leaves. So at the end of the tea party, I was expected to thank everyone for the last six months--almost impossible to put into words:) How do I express my thanks to these people who loved me and included me in their lives for so long? Joytown has a portion of my heart, and I am forever grateful for that. But it was time to come home. All of my goodbyes were so sweet--filled with more laughs than tears. I've got to say, the most difficult was telling Naomi goodbye. She looked at me and said, "Gray if I don't see you again in Kenya, I'll see you in heaven...and I won't be in this wheelchair!"

Lord, thank you for Joytown School. Thank you for BethanyKids. Thank you for letting me tell their stories. 



I loved showing my parents Joytown and Kijabe. It was such a blessing to share this place with the people I love most! We spent a few busy days in Kenya and then a relaxing time in South Africa on the way home. My incredible friends greeted us in the Jackson airport and I have never been happier to see home. This past week, I have been overwhelmed with love by phone calls, texts, long coffee dates, and just genuine interest in my time in Kenya. I cannot thank you all for making Jackson the best place to come home to:)


 Dinner at Francesca's with her sweet baby, Jeremy 
Hugging my friend Naomi before leaving

Thanks for reading this blog of my ramblings and thoughts. Hope I brought a little bit of Joytown right to you:) 

2 comments:

  1. So thankful you are home, Gray! Continuing to pray for you as your journey continues at home, and I cannot wait to see you and hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Idk why, but this blog made me tear up the most. Man I love you!

    ReplyDelete