2.17.2012

Highlights

My last week at Joytown has been filled with so many precious memories. I have be able to spend time with the therapy team, and even more with the kids. Some highlights from the week:
  • Great weekend with friends in Kijabe. Toured a gorgeous tea plantation and ate homemade dairy-free apple pie one night:)
  • James was enrolled at Joytown Secondary School. Happiest boy I've ever seen! (I asked for prayers for James right before Christmas...you can read his story in my newsletter)
  • Special AB class party. This class contains the most severe mentally and physically handicapped children at Joytown, and of course the ones with the biggest smiles. They were literally shrieking with happiness the whole party. The staff even performed a song and dance for the kids, which was a big hit!
  • Singing rap songs with my sweet friend, Faith. Everyday, we meet in the gym and talk, laugh, and sing anything from Ludacris to Beyonce. Yesterday, I taught some of the girls the pretzel--they loved dancing!
  • Dr. Bransford's visit to Joytown. It was so encouraging to see Dr. Bransford, especially at the end of my time here. He brings hope and vision to this school, and tireless motivation to glorify God in all things.
Tea plantation near Kijabe

James--so happy to be going to school


 Happy happy Special AB children

     Dr. Bransford explaining to Mary that her disability won't stop her from following her dream of becoming a writer. Wish I had this on video!

    I thank God for His protection over these past 6 months....

    "My help comes from the Lord, 
    Who made heaven and earth.
    He will not allow your foot to slip,
    He who keeps you will not slumber.
    Behold, He who keeps Israel
    Will neither sleep nor slumber.
    The Lord is your keeper,
    The Lord is your shade on your right hand,
    The sun will not smite you by day,
    Nor the moon by night.
    The Lord will protect you from all evil;
    He will keep your soul.
    The Lord will guard your going out and your coming in
    From this time forth and forevermore."
    Psalm 121

    Thank you for all your prayers this last week and for my preparation for home. I cannot wait to see my parents in the Nairobi airport Monday night and show them a portion of this beautiful place. See you in the U.S. of A!

    1 comment:

    1. Gray, I love this. I cannot wait to see you!

      That pic of the doctor explaining that the little girl can still be a doctor made me want to cry. So precious!

      And I am thrilled that James is now a student. How incredible for him...

      ReplyDelete